Thursday, February 7, 2013

Prescott Hunting Trip 2013

Last weekend my dad and I took a couple of days off and headed up to Prescott to hunt with my uncle and an old friend from California.  When I was a kid my dad and I would go quail hunting every season.  It was serious business back then. We'd get out to where we were hunting before sunrise, hike all day, and get back to the trucks as the sun was setting.  (As I wrote that last sentence I went to go check my old photo album and found these.)
Me and a friend (Matt) probably ~25 years ago??
My dad and I hunting in northern Nevada
Flash back to the present.  We haven't been hunting for a couple of years now.  You get busy with other things, work, vacations, motorcycle trips.  So when my dad asked if I wanted to go I found myself really looking forward to going.  Here we are getting ready to leave Thursday morning.  Some of the areas we wanted to hunt required ATV's so my dad brought his.  I was going to ride my mom's ATV..the yellow one.
Five hours later we arrived at my uncle's place in Prescott.
We were greeted by the usual suspects, Sweetpea and Tucker, the wonder dog.
Since our last visit to my uncle's house he had acquired a new trailer to store his multiple rides.  We got the full tour.
 It started to get a bit chilly so we headed inside for dinner.  My uncle's German Shorthaired dog "Champ" had the best seat in the house.  Right next to the roaring fire.
 My uncle made pot roast with salad and mashed potatoes.  It was quite tasty!
 Tucker did the dishes.
The next morning we headed out.  It was a little chilly in Prescott, notice the frost on the windows.  We were actually hunting west of town, which drops off in elevation, so it warmed up nicely by the time we arrived.
 That's my Uncle Sid to the right, and Bens, a friend from California and his dog Maggie.  She was raring to go find some birds.
 We got lucky with the weather!  Here we are waiting for my dad to load up.  A few jokes may have been told about how often we have to wait for him to get ready:)
 We'd ride the ATV's on jeep trails until we'd find a spot we liked. Then hunt that area for a couple of hours before moving to the next spot.
 It's amazing how beautiful the county is out here.
It had rained hard the week before so there were quite a few streams to cross.  It's always amazing to see water in the desert. 
I know it's hard to tell, with all the camo, but my dad is riding a ATV in this picture.  Take your time, we'll wait until you can find him.
At the end of the first day we celebrated with mexican food.  I ordered fajitas, of course.
The morning of day 2 started at a old Windmill.  We were hunting on state land but ranchers also used this area for cattle and horses.  The Windmill slowly pumped water into that black tank in the background. 
Getting ready to head out, the dogs partake of some water.  The former, slightly damaged, water tank can be seen to the left.
Speaking of horses they were checking us out as we arrived.  These weren't wild, they were owned by the ranch.
Because of the terrain we ended up getting split apart.  I took this picture of my dad and Bens at full zoom.  I could just make them out on top of a ridge.
Time for artistic water and saguaro shot.
Looks like the set of a country western movie.
No birds around so I pose for rugged man in the desert shot.  I keep telling Kiri that I could be mistaken for John Wayne.  She just rolls her eyes.
The horses keep staring at me.  I'm starting to think they're planning something.
I knew it! They make their move and try to make off with my Uncle's Rhino.

Towards the end of the day we take a few minutes and relax as the sun sets.  We've completely worn out the dogs with all the hiking.  Day 2 was probably the highlight of the trip for me.  Just a really good day to be outside.
I spot some old wrecks nearby and go check them out.
The bottom one was an old Desoto.

I snapped this picture of the center of the steering wheel.  You can still make out the image of Hernando de Soto if you tilt your head to the left.
This must have been the dumping ground of the nearby ranch house as I find the area littered with old rusting objects.

 The sun's final rays of the day catch Maggie and I as we wait for the ATV's to arrive at our location.
As Maggie and I explored the junk pile, my dad, uncle, and Bens went to go grab the ATV's.  I caught some video of them coming back to our location.  Not very exciting video, but I took it.  Might as well show it right?? Maybe not.  As my uncle goes past, in the Rhino, you can just make out Champ riding in the back. 
That night we had dinner at the local steak house.  Not a great picture of me, if I look pale its because I had applied a great deal of sun screen that day.  Also Caroline can been seen in the center, she's a friend of my uncle.
Day 3 was going to be a half day of hunting.  This was Superbowl Sunday and Sid and Bens wanted to get back in time to watch the game, while my dad and I had to work the next day.  So we had to make the 4 hour drive back to Tucson.
Champ was a little sore, but still eager to start hunting.  "Lets gooo!"
The weather report had upped the chance of rain to 30%.  It had been 10% earlier in the week.  Can't complain much after having two days of sun.
I tried to get a picture of one of the dogs pointing but wasn't fast enough with the camera.  Instead you'll have to settle for a picture of Maggie retrieving a bird for Bens.  Ladies! stop staring at Bens' butt!
The terrain on day three was pretty rocky.  Makes for slow walking.
As we headed back to the trucks it started to sprinkle on us.  You can make out drops of water on my dad's ATV.
It was a great trip and supposedly there are plans for another one next year.  Can't wait!  Hope you enjoyed the pictures.  Until next time!


  1. It looks like you guys had a great time getting out and enjoying the fresh air. Such beautiful sunshine until that last day too.

    I bet the dogs weren't the only ones tuckered out and sleeping well.

  2. You got that right:) My dad and I shared a hotel room. The second night he was snoring so loud I had to wear ear plugs:)